 |
| A pile of pillowcases sewn by several women in my ward this morning. A local quilting shop is collecting 600 homemade pillowcases to give to the students of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. |
My heart has been very heavy for the past few days as our state and our country and our world has suffered tragic loss. I'm sure your hearts have felt burdened as well. My dear friend, Carlee, has relatives in Newtown, CT. Thankfully, none of her nieces or nephews were harmed in the shootings that took place on Friday as they attend a neighboring school. I wanted to help her spread the word about a project that is taking place to bring a little bit of light to this quaint New England town as they work to heal their broken hearts.
The idea is simple: spreading love, goodwill and cheer through the heart of a child. We are calling for elementary-aged children's art on paper hearts of all sizes, to be plastered all over Newtown, CT. Include child's first name, age and state. With these hearts, we hope to spread a tangible expression of the love felt by so many people, all sharing in grief for those suffering. Send your paper hearts to:
P.O. Box 754
Bethel, CT
06801
If you are looking for a way to help but don't know how, please consider sending a paper heart to Newtown with your child's artwork decorating it. While I felt it necessary to tell my older children a little bit about the events that transpired on Friday in Newtown, when we decorate our hearts, I will only explain to them that "we are creating happy drawings for people who are feeling sad."
Even though there are terrible things that happen every day, I still believe that most people are good. I can teach my children to be the good in the world and look for the good in others.
If you would like to know more about Hearts to Newtown, please feel free to check out their Facebook page here.
I recently read
this talk by Elder Holland about finding peace during tragic times at Christmas. It has brought me a lot of comfort. I hope it does the same for you.
3 comments:
I will do this with the kids tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing this. Kids want to help too and this is a perfect way. I only told Elise and didn't say too much...but she has brought it up several times and I can tell she's thinking about it. She said, "Mom, don't you have a friend that lives in Connecticut?" I was surprised she remembered and was worrying about you.
The tragedy makes my heart hurt.
Thanks for posting the link to that talk. I really needed that. I wish we had some kids to make hearts with. Maybe we'll make our own and send them anyways. Love you!
Love this...thanks Sara!
Post a Comment