Last night we decorated a gingerbread house for FHE. All day Monday they were bouncing off the walls with excitement and couldn't wait to get started.
Davis was content to just sit in his chair and eat the gingerbread waffles we had for Brinner. I highly recommend them, and I think D would too if he could talk.
Every single piece of candy we bought to decorate either ended up in the kids' mouths or on top of the gingerbread house.
The finished product and the hyped-up kids who created it.
Decorating the gingerbread last night reminded me of a time when my sisters and I did the same activity with our Young Women's group. I must have been about 14, so Allie was 16 or 17. We were in the church kitchen, decorating graham cracker houses. I turned my back for a second to get some candy for my awesome roof. When I turned to face my house again, it was a pile of broken graham cracker pieces. I glanced at Allie who was laughing her head off at my predicament. Naturally, I assumed she was the one who made my house topple to the ground (wouldn't you?). Without giving it a second of thought, I took my fist and crushed her house to smithereens. I think it was about this time that our youth leaders intervened and I was informed that Allie had nothing to do with my house falling apart. Guess she learned not to share a laugh at my expense (sorry girl!).
I still haven't lived that story down. In fact, Allie brought it up to me just the other day (love you Allie! muuuaahh!). Our Young Women leaders never forgot it either. They told that story at a bridal shower they gave Brooke and I twelve years after the alleged incident. I'm pretty sure Allie has since forgiven me, but I'm not expecting an invitation to decorate gingerbread houses at her house anytime soon...
Guess I can't really blame Maddie's "spirited" personality completely on either her aunt Shanny or aunt Brookie.
6 comments:
Ahh the love/hate relationship of sisters - especially when gingerbread houses are involved. I LOVE that you told that story, and that is hasn't been forgotten. What was Allie's reaction when you crushed hers???
And yea for fun FHE's with the fam. I can't wait for the day when Logan is home at night again - and we can do fun activities like this as a family;) SO glad y'all are together - for real. The little things that can be taken for granted are really what's important.
LOVE the story! Are you serious that you blame Maddie's spunk on others? Maybe you're grown and mature, but I see plenty of spunk packed in you! Good spunk, of course. Give Maddie 18 years and she'll be perfectly spunked, just like you!
I'm trying to motivate myself to do our gingerbread house. They are so much work . . . Yours looks lovely!
Nothin wrong with spunk! Even though that spunk can get you into trouble sometimes. I would have paid "full price" to be there and see that. I just laughed reading this. I could picture it all in my head. I do feel bad for your sis when she was so innocent. But to see you act like that would be priceless. I love your spunk!!!
Hey girl! I do want to see you at Christmas! I will be there the week after and I wanted to see if you could go on a couple runs with me. I need to do 6-10 miles cause I'm training for a half marathon. Hopefully, it won't be too cold. I'll call when i get into town. Send me your number again if you can.
Apparently, I'm know as doctor, but it's actually Tami to everyone else.
Good times, that is something I won't ever forget!!!
Post a Comment