Sunday, September 13, 2009

Miss Maddie at 15 Months

This picture, courtesy of the talented Chrissy Jo, is my current favorite of Maddie.
Here are a few updates on what Maddie is up to and in to these days:
  • Still fearless as ever--she loves the park and climbs all over everything and dives down the tallest slides, face first, by herself--giggling the whole way down. Just yesterday we went to a park near our house and she insisted on climbing up the stairs to the gigantic tunnel slide(I followed very anxiously right behind her) and diving down it without any hesitation. I cannot remember the last time I saw this girl show any sign of fear about anything--that makes me very afraid.
  • Wants to be doing anything that Isaac does. She follows him around like a shadow and he loves it. If he is singing "Wheels on the Bus," she does her own version right along with him, adding a "Beep! Beep!" at the end of every verse. They are really starting to entertain each other more and more every day.
  • Because she is Isaac's shadow, she is convinced that she can do anything that he does and is just as big as him. This causes her to take a lot of tumbles--notice the bruise below her right eye in the photo above--those are ever present these days.
  • She's learning new words every day and she yells them at the top of her lungs to communicate whatever it is she wants you to know. Her articulation needs a little work, though. For example, I have heard her say "gacias!" for "gracias" several times, but she prefers instead to just say "ga!"---it's easier and she can yell it louder if it's only one syllable, I suppose.
  • Of all the words she knows, "no!" is still her favorite, and whenever she says it, she means it.
  • She loves Elmo, baby dolls, Dora the Explorer books, Karen Katz books, cars, balls, and anything she can push around (strollers, ride-on cars, etc.)
  • She insists on feeding herself and yanks the spoon out of my hand if I try to help her.
  • She will throw a fit if you take something from her, but if you say, "Maddie, can I have that please?", 9 times out of 10 she will hand it right over (we drill this into Isaac's head on a daily basis).
  • She is anything but shy and will say hi to almost anyone who makes eye contact with her. One of her favorite pastimes is standing on the deck outside our apartment, greeting everyone she sees coming and going from the complex.
  • If she wants milk, she will stand next to the refrigerator and yell "leche!!!!" at the top of her lungs until I open the door for her. I always make her bark "por favor!" a couple of times before I'll give it to her. Some one's gotta teach this girl manners.
  • Maddie still loves the water. I'm pretty sure I saved her from drowning a hundred times this summer at the wading pool where we spent a good chunk of our days. Just yesterday she submerged her head into the water and started blowing bubbles while taking a bath.
  • She has more spunk, sass, attitude and personality than ever before and we don't know what we'd do without her.

3 comments:

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, Isaac, Spencer said...

Oh, we love that sass! I can't believe that she is 15 months & blond as can be. Bring it on Maddie!

Jamie said...

She is SOOOoooo CUTE!!!

slingwall said...

That is so Maddie and that is what I love about her the most. We sure miss seeing you guys everyday. I CANNOT wait until summer. I might be a little less busy this summer than ever. You will have to keep me busy!