Thursday, January 22, 2009
Obsessions and Insights
I have a new obsession: making homemade baby food. I can't believe I didn't start sooner! My sister and several friends tried to convince me, and I finally gave into peer pressure. I'm so glad I did.
Not only does it save money and cuts down on the amount of baby food wasted, but it takes my domesticity (is that a word?) to a whole new level. I get this strange sense of satisfaction out of pureeing the food myself. Weird but true. Seriously, if you are currently buying baby food, you should consider making it. All you need is a blender and some ice cube trays---and all the fruits and veggies you plan on pureeing, of course. This website has a lot of good recipes and ideas.I also like that there is so much more variety than with the store-bought food. So far, Maddie has eaten homemade carrots, peas, green beans, broccoli, avocado, peaches, and pears. And there are bananas and black beans in the freezer waiting to be eaten. She has loved almost all of it (she's not a fan of avocados--where did this girl come from? I could live off them). Pears are her current favorite--I can't shovel them in her mouth fast enough. So there's my plug for making your own food and saving a few bucks while you're at it. In other news, I have had a couple of insights lately: First, story time at the library is a great way to survive winter and get the kids to the library and out of the house. It has recently become a weekly activity in our home and I'm trying to solidify it as a habit. Today we had a couple of friends come with us and Isaac is finally starting participating during the songs (he just needed a little help from his friends). It was great. My second insight pertains to cleaning up the toys. Isaac is old enough to help clean up his own toys, but let's face it, I can get the job done in half the time and half the effort. I realize, though, that me cleaning up after him doesn't exactly teach him how to "clean up, clean up, everybody everywhere..." Last night, I said to him, "First, let's clean up the toys; after, we'll eat chocolate." Those magic words lit a fire in him (my boy loves him some chocolate) and he cleaned the entire living room almost as fast as he messed it up earlier that day. I then rewarded him with 3 (yes, three) chocolate chips. Ryan calls it borderline child abuse. I call it sheer genius. Tonight, all I had to say was, "First, let's clean up the toys," and he immediately yelled "After---CHOCOLATE!!!" Just call me Pavlov.
While it looks like he's strangling Chase, he's actually trying to bear hug him from behind...not that Chase understands that...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I love the idea of homemade baby food. I tried it late with Chase and wished I would have done more. Next time around I will have to come over for a baby food cooking demonstration. We loved story time and are so excited to go next week. I can't believe we haven't gone before. I love the pictures of the boys. But why is it that as soon as the camera is pulled out they stop doing whatever it is you really want a picture of?
Congrats on making your own baby food. It IS satisfying, isn't it?? And seriously - the chocolate chip reward is sheer genius. You're teaching him good habits (no matter the method).
I agree that the library is a great place to come spend the day. Granted I get paid to be here but I still really enjoy it. It was great to see you and your cute kids yesterday. It helped brighten my day.
Thanks for the website Sara. So far I have made bananas but he is about ready for some more variety!
We use the chocolate chip trick ALL the time. Nora tells me that chocolate chips are "beautiful"- uh oh, I think she loves chocolate as much as me! But it works!
Are you coming out to the W Des Moines library for storytime? We love it too.
Just so everybody knows I think that the child abuse part of whole situation was that she only gave him 3 chocolate chips. I would like to see any of you stop at 3.
I too have loved story time at the West Des Moines Library, but Alec has not enjoyed it so much. Maybe bringing a friend would help. :-) Isn't making your own baby food so much cheaper? When I sat down and did the math I was amazed. I'll have to try the chocolate chip idea with Alec sometime... good one!
I never thought I would be friends with someone that made their own baby food. I didn't think people still did that. Why when you have it wonderfully pre-packaged and made for you would you make it yourself? You probably taste the nasty pureed broccoli before you give it to her as well. Sick Sara, just plain sick.
I was laughing so hard when you said three chocolate chips. I can't wait to see what he has to do to earn one hershey's kiss.
haha Ryan, good point! Sara, you are so cute... and don't even get me started on your children.
Ha! I LOVED this blog post! I have really wanted to try making my own baby food and was going to once my little one is old enough. Thanks for the website resource! I am also such a believer in taking the kids to the library for a change and getting out of the house. And I completely relate to having your two-year old "clean-up, clean-up" it's so funny to hear that you do the same thing...I haven't done the chocolate idea but that is such a good trick!
Post a Comment